Thursday, March 27, 2008

O Jesus, come to my rescue...

"When we look back in time and study old cultures and people, we are impressed that death has always been distasteful to man and will probably always be." Elizabeth Kübler-Ross from "On Death and Dying"



I have recently started reading about suffering/pain/etc. Currently, C.S. Lewis' "The Problem of Pain" has occupied my attention. I'm far from being ready to write anything of value about the subject myself, but I do have some questions that I think bear answering:

1) If suffering is, then why do we tend to pretend that it is not?
2) From the Christian perspective, is suffering ever the same as temptation?
3) If not, then how does western Christianity mesh with St. Paul's words, "I want to know Christ in the power of his resurrection and in the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings"?

Just some questions I'm considering, and that I will write about one of these days.

Apart from Yancey, Lewis, and Bonhoeffer, does anyone know any authors (preferably a mix of western writers and non-western writers) who have written anything on the subject recently?

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading Simone Weil lately and she has a lot to say regarding theology and suffering in her book "Waiting for God."
    Also, have you read David Crowder and Mike Hogan's book "Everybody Wants To Go To Heaven, But Nobody Wants To Die"? They penetrate the topic of grief and pain as well as philosophy of death, pain and the soul.

    ReplyDelete